Re: Sprite carb Questions

To: Tim Jones <Tjones@africon.co.za>
Subject: Re: Sprite carb Questions
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 12:53:36 -0400
Cc: Sprite List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Tim Jones wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Couple of questions to do with SU carbs for 1960 sprite (900 odd cc
> engine):
>
> 1.      How do I tell what size carbs they are 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" ?
>         reason I ask is one of them has a brass top - other black
> plastic

1-1/8" have one bolt holding the float bowl cover on. 1-1/4 have 3
screws holding the float cover on.
You could always measure the carb opening too. Across the front with the
air cleaners off.

> 2.      I have petrol dripping out round the bottom of the carbs -
> washers seem a bit stuffed - will carb kit have all the replacement
> washers to hopefully solve this dripping - (normally only when engine
> has stopped running)
Sounds like 1-1/8 carbs. new corks do come with the kits.

> 3.      There is a strange arrangement previous owner rigged which has
> the choke acting on one of the carbs only - with the choke      out, car
> idles and runs beutifully - with choke off there is a definate
> hesitation between 2000 & 3000 rpm - am I correct in    saying it could
> be the mixture on this carb is too lean ?

If the car is warmed up and this is happening, I would say it is set too
lean. Turn jet nut down for rich, up for lean.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ