Re: Rebuilt Alternator Question

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Rebuilt Alternator Question
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 20:49:38 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Philip Hubbard wrote:

> 1) are the parts guys giving me the real story?
> 2) is my method of removing the fan the right way to go?
> 3) should I (and how if yes) reseal the nut on the new alternator once I
> get it off the old one?

Philip

Use an impact wrench (11/16 socket) to remove and replace the nut.
There should be a split washer on the old one, if the washer is not
flattened out, use it again, if it has lost it's spring, replace it.
I always use a drop of locktite on the alt or gen pulley nut, once you
have one come loose you always use locktite!
Your old one may be locktited (sp) on, if so, use a propane torch to
loosen the old locktite, this is about the only thing that loosens
locktite short of a bunch of good strong men with a really long breaker
bar!

Good luck
Frank
--