RE: Z-S leaking fuel from the underside

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Z-S leaking fuel from the underside
From: "Chris Fiddes" <cfiddes@direct.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:47:47 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I'm confused.  Not that confusing me requires a Ph.D., but still........

As reported, I discovered the leaky carb enroute to work - quite a puddle under
the car when running in the downtown garage.  A quick feel around the carb
had me thinking it was coming from the bottom plug.  Not remembering whether
the bottom plug was threaded or a "force fit" of some kind, I applied a little
pressure and spun it clockwise.  No apparent change to the fuel leak.

When I got home from work I got ready to attack the problem with a little
advice
from listers.  Started her up to double check on the source of the leak - no
leak.

The only possibility I can think of is that the bottom plug had come a little
loose
and that the small amount of pressure I applied tightened it back up.  I'm not
experienced with carbs so I'm happy to be told I'm wrong.

I'll watch closely for the next couple of weeks to see if my leak returns - but
in
the meantime any suggestions about what could cause an intermittent leak from
a ZS Carb?

All advice gladly accepted - I would like my fire extinguisher to remain
ornamental.

Cheers and thanks.

Chris.
'75 Midget