Brake problems

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Brake problems
From: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 14:29:49 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I have a Bugeye with Mk IV dual-circuit master cylinder and brakes installed
by the PO.  Last outing the brake switch quit on me. I just got it all
apart, and it turns out that the pedal box bracket has been reamed out to
take some unknown switch that was epoxied in place. To make matters worse,
it appears that the switch probably went bad because the master cylinder has
been weeping fluid.

My first questions concern the master cylinder. The car sat for 9 years
until just a few months ago. At the time I rebuilt the brakes, the master
cylinder seemed fine, although the brake lines were mostly empty because a
major leak had developed on a rear wheel cylinder. Is there any chance that
the master cylinder is all right, or am I facing a rebuild or replacement?
If I can't trust it, how do you go about rebuilding it? I bought a kit for
it, but I don't see any way to get it apart! The snap rings are WAY down a
narrow bore. What are my options here? I'll buy a new one if I have to, but
I can think of other places to put $190!

Second, I would like to replace or somehow rebuild the pedal box to take the
proper, adjustable brake light switch. Does anyone have any suggestions in
this regard? Any place that might have pedal boxes for sale? Anybody who
wants to sell one?

Thanks in advance

Tom Zuchowski
'61 Bugeye