1974 Midget Alignment

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1974 Midget Alignment
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 23:12:09 -0400
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 10:06 AM 8/30/98 -0600, you wrote:
>It is true that the toe-out should not cause it to pull one way or the
other but it will create some steering anomalies.
>The first place I would check are the A arms if this car has hit a curb or
such then it is likely an A arm got bent.
>Hope this helps
>Dave Formstone
>1960 Bugeye

I've been getting some very helpful advice on this alignment problem and I
very much appreciate it - thanks everyone!

Dave in his post above may have hit on something major.  It's pulling to
the left.  The left front (driver's) bushings were the odd ones I found
when replacing both sides (had an offset hole for the fulcrum pins
correcting for my current problem it seems.)  And it is on this side that
the a-arm looks redone.  It seems it has been rewelded with a very
noticeable amount of weld on the small piece that the wishbone pan bolts
to.  There also seems to be extra welding done out at the outer fulcrum
pin.  Both the passenger's side a-arm and a spare I picked up a while back
are neat and clean at all the joints.  They don't have the remanufactured
look.

Before I decide this is it and it needs replacing, I am going to take it to
an alignment shop for a second opinion and to see if the rest of the car is
straight.  Need to know the extent of the problem first - especially with
the front end rebuild parts so expensive.

If I need to replace the a-arm, can I just do one side or is that unsafe
and I need to do both sides at once?  If I was independently wealthy I'd
just do a full front end rebuild on the basis of "it's probably a good
idea", but if I don't need to for safety's sake I need to consider other
alternatives kinder on the wallet. :)

Thanks for all hints, opinions, advice.

Philip
1974 Damask Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos