Re: Rear Wheel Bearing?

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@nashville.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Wheel Bearing?
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 18:04:59 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Mark Endicott wrote:

> I was washing my car the other day and while I had the right rear
> wheel jacked up to get at the wires I noticed a potential problem.
> With the emergency brake applied I could feel some up/down movement in
> the rear wheel.  It felt like a possible rear wheel bearing, at least
> that is all that I could think of at the time, the movement was not on
> the wire spline.  The left wheel does not have any movement with the
> brake applied.
>
> Is there a good test for the rear bearings or are there any
> suggestions for other problems that I should look for?
Mark

Check the leaf springs for tightness, and/or a broken leaf, also check
the shock links and rear shock mountings to the body.
A rear bearing makes a horrible noise when it goes south.
You may want to check the bearing nut too, one side (I forget which) is
left hand thread.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ