Torque those shocks

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Torque those shocks
From: Bob Spruck <bspruck@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 21:16:05 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
        Thought some of you might want a friendly reminder/warning about front
lever action shock absorbers on our Spridgets working loose.

Today I went through my '67 Midget vintage race car in preparation for the
Atlanta Historic Races in two weeks. One of my procedures is to tighten or
torque every bolt and nut on the underside and the topside of the car.
After a race the three bolts that hold the front shocks to the body are
always looser than the 40 ft.lbs I set them to before the race. Since the
shock is really the upper suspension arm, they take a lot of abuse on a
race weekend and always need re-torquing before the next race. Found them
to be moderately loose, so I re-set them. No problem, to be expected.

Sitting in my garage next to the race car is my '72 street Midget. Just for
the heck of it I thought I'd check it's shocks while I had my torque wrench
set for 40 lbs. I was shocked (pun intended) to find out they were
seriously loose. Probably in the 25-30 range, not the 40 they should be.
And this just from normal street driving.

You all might want to check yours sometime soon and put it on your list of
things to check frequently.