Re: No power

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: No power
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 22:14:09 -0400
Cc: "spridgeteers" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Frank,
Compression?  Probably checked it, but if not...
Under "Normal" circumstances tolerance buildups in a cam (such as
tolerances for location of the keyway, lobe location tolerances, etc) can
cause a couple of degrees of timing error.  I know my Mustang racer buddy
says he hopes for 1 or 2 degrees max.  If you're off by more than 10
degrees, you've likely missed a tooth.  In a tighter engine, valves would
get bent, pushrods bent, rocker arms damaged, etc.  With the high valve to
piston clearances in the 1275 (with dished pistons, and a non-shaved head
anyway) you'd probably just feel it as performance.  Don't know how much
you'd feel, though.

And it sounds like our machinists went to the same Time Management class.