HELP!!! Paint/Body discussion

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: HELP!!! Paint/Body discussion
From: RMiller930@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 11:12:55 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
        Ok, fellow listers.  Time to get serious, and I need some serious help.

        The former pineapple upside down Bugeye has been rightside up for some
time
now.  The only problem in finishing it now is a grave lack of funds due to the
tax bill the IRS presented me with and the fact that I have yet to wean the
wife and kids and dogs and way too many cats from eating.
        Have had two body men (including and ex brother in law) look at the car
for
purposes of bidding the job.  Neither would bid, but work hourly + materials,
and both estimated in the range of $3,000 - $4,000 to finish.  (That's a long
ways from the previous $200 paint job a few, well maybe several, years ago!!!)
        Now, this car is naked at the moment with the exception of the
handbrake.
The bonnet needs a bit of tweaking here and there in order to bring the
fenders in above front of rockers (looks a little like Dumbo, but not that
bad, only about 1/2 - 3/4 flare on worst side.  Also, needs welded in a lower
door hinge mount and patch panel on lower post in front of door.  The car is
already painted on the bottom.
        I had originally intended to paint car myself, but am a little skiddish
when
it comes to "panel beating".  So, I guess I'm asking for your experiences in
doing yourselves or in having work hired out, prices, etc.....
        All other components have been rebuilt, detailed, and are ready to hang
back
on car...just need a paint job and some minor body work...

Thanks in advance for your help, guidance, support, or ridicule...

Rod Miller
59 Bugeye
72 TR6 (son's car)
86 XJ-S (son's car...so why am I always the one working on it???)