Clutch is NOT Bleeding

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch is NOT Bleeding
From: Dave Hiley <dhiley@cadvision.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 23:44:45 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Well here I go again/still:     :))

I used my new visibleed on the brakes and all is well.  Next came the
clutch. (which, of course, is why I took the engine out last September)  I
have a new slave cylinder but did not replace the clutch master.

No amount of creative bleeding both using the visibleed or the traditional
two person method will get me any pedal pressure.  If I hold my thumb
against the piston in the slave and my son works the clutch pedal, the only
time there is pressure (with the bleed screw closed) is during the bottom
inch of travel in the clutch pedal.  there is no evidence or visible air
bubbles coming out of the bleed screw.  I even took the slave off the bell
housing and tried gravity bleeding.

It was suggested that I test the master cylinder by inserting a 3/8 bolt
instead of the line connector and if the clutch pedal is very firm the
master cylinder is OK.  I did and it was.  :((

Help!!  Please!
Thanks
dave
'72 MKIII