Re: Starter Questions: Midget 1500

To: Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>
Subject: Re: Starter Questions: Midget 1500
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:59:37 -0400
Cc: MGList <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Michael Graziano wrote:

> Well, my starter's been warning me that it was tired for 2 months or so, and
>finally went to sleep
> Saturday night.  Now I have three replacement starters (thanx carl and john)
>whose conditions are
> unknown.
>
> My question pertains to the gear that engages the flywheel.  How's that damm
>thing supposed to
> work?  On my old starter, it moves quite easily up and down shaft (in a
>counterclockwise motion).
> THe teeth on it are completely shot (that's what the problem was).  One of
>the new ones moves down
> the shaft easily as well,  but another one doesn't move at all (even hooked
>up to the starter
> solenoid).
>
> Is that gear supposed to move along the shaft easily or is there something in
>the housing where it's
> connected that aids its movement. I'm curious b/c I don't know if mine being
>chewed up was a result
> of that easy movement.
>
> Mike

Mike

clean out the bendix drive with brake cleaner or something similar and
oil the spiral cut with a thin oil. 3 in 1 or Liquid Wrench, use OIL not
silicone, no wd40 although it works fine it just doesn't last long.
Work the oil up and down the bendix a few times and you will see it move
freely.

good luck
--
Frank Clarici