One of those days

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: One of those days
From: Rick/Carolyn <walters@mail.softcom.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:36:58 +0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi all,

You ever had one of them days when everything goes wrong?  Well, it was
my turn yesterday.  I'm still recovering and may take a week before I am
back to normal.

It started with what I thought was a hung brake.  I was smelling rubber
liner on the way home.  I checked the brake drums and disc for heat they
were stone cold after driving them for 2 hours.  So I just passed it off
as a truck with his on.

On my way to work Yesterday I smelled it again, and about a 3 miles from
work the Lucas god of darkness struck.  The car just quit, I was in the
middle lane doing 65 and nothing.  Trouble indicated no gas in the fuel
filter.  Nuts, so I walked up to the nearest station they don't take
plastic, Huh.  Now I'm late for work.  Called the SO to come and get
me.  Of course I found a teller on the way back to the car, so I bought
gas in a can.  Went back to fill the tank, which BTW has a hole in the
pick-up tube so I can't get below 1/2 tank.  Still no gas in the
filter.  I'm tring to hear the pump, but with the semi's entering the
freeway five feet from my head I couldn't hear a thing.

Lift the bonnet to find a blown main fuse, oops.  No spare in the car.
I jumpered the wires to find I smoke tested the inside of the car.
Quickly rectified by pulling the jumper, too late.  Looking for a flash
lite because it is dark now, none to be found.  By brail, I found the
suspect wire all burned and crinkled.  Cut the wire hoping it would
start after I jumpered again.  Yipee it's alive, but I still had to wait
for the wife.

Got to work and found the on/off switch for the dash lights came apart
and shorted to ground.  Next I found the wiper motor with a bad
windings.  It was all burned up.

On top of that, I was going home this morning, Nite shift worker, and I
hit a bump.  Now I'm missing my front badge on the bonnet.  I guess I
should be thankful it didn't come through the windshield and crack it
when it came off.

It not just a car it an adventure.

Rick

BTW check your dash light switches under the speedo so this won't happen
to you.

--
52 MGTD,Sparky    74 MGB, B-tris    76 XJ12 Coupe, Jacque
60 Bugeye, Puddles      58 MGA Coupe, Ruby