Re: windshield replacement

To: "Chris Kotting" <ckotting@iwaynet.net>, "'Ulix Goettsch'" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: windshield replacement
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 19:41:34 -0400
Cc: <Thecarguru@aol.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The problem I had was with trying to install the glass back into the four
frame pieces with a new glazing rubber around the glass.  The four pieces
of the frame screw together through angle brackets in the corners.  I found
that I could screw together any three pieces, but I could not compress the
seal enough to line up the screw holes for the fourth frame piece.  I was
afraid to force it too much, for fear of breaking the brand new glass.  I
tried several different ways, but could never get it all together.
After the glass was installed by the glass shop, installing the
windshield/frame back on the car was a piece of cake.  I just had some
friends press down on the frame until the mount holes in the sides lined
up, then slipped in the bolts.   If you're careful, you can keep the
frame-to-body rubber seal from being trapped under the frame, but I still
had to take a wooden tongue depressor and "pick" the seal to smooth it out.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain

<byers@cconnect.net>