Re: Exhaust Manifold

To: Bkitterer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Exhaust Manifold
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 20:32:53 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Bkitterer@aol.com wrote:

> OK I have just about had it with this bell ended exhaust manifold.  I still
> have the early 1275 exhaust manifold with a stainless steel exhaust pipe and I
> swear that it leaks (so who is surprised).  Thought about changing to a late
> 1275 manifold and just having the end of the exhaust pipe changed.  But the
> exhaust pipe end does not look like something that would be available at my
> local muffler shop.  The 1500 has the type of fitting that I was thinking
> about but none of that will work on the 1275.  So am looking for information
> on how to get a better more reliable connection at the manifold / exhaust pipe
> and hopefully using as many of may existing parts as possible.

The early exhaust manifold > pipe clamp was indeed one of those "works
on paper" designs. I prefer the later 3 bolt manifolds but I always
drill out the original steel studs and replace them with stainless bolts
and nuts.
You can cut and weld the collar from an old MGB exhaust pipe to your
existing flared pipe or replace the whole pipe with a 68 - 74 Spridget
pipe and manifold or..... I learned this from the Jag list, use a
mixture of Copper sheild (copper based grease for electric conections)
and exhaust cement, smear this mess on the manifold and pipe, proceed to
jack up the pipe like Ulix said and clamp it tight. Not too tight or you
will distort the clamp.
If you want to do the 3 bolt flange set up, I think I still have a head
pipe (used) from an MGB. If I did not throw it out I will cut off the
flange and send it to you if you like.

Frank

--
Frank Clarici