1500 Transmission Rebuild.

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1500 Transmission Rebuild.
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 21:00:30 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
It looks like a tranny rebuild for my '79 Midget with its '76 engine.   If you
have been following my posts, you will remember that I pulled it in the shop
for a knock.  Turned out the DA mechanic who worked on it last put the clutch
disc in backwards which loosened the flywheel bolts and the flywheel.  This
had a shattering effect on back the driveshaft it seems, and when I pulled the
tranny plug to empty the fluid, the magnetic plug had little pieces of a
washer stuck to it, as well as thousands of little metal shavings.  Baaaaad!!!
With the tranny out of the car, 1st gear and 4th gear runs free but 2nd and
3rd seem to bind slightly, like a bearing is sluggish.

Anyway--Having never been inside a tranny before, and wishing/needing to
dismantle and rebuild this one, do any of you guys have an internet site, or
perhaps an e-mail of your own that will help me with this project?  I have the
Haynes Sprite/Midget manual.  Anything at all, either a good site or a step by
step directory from anyone will be most appreciated and helpful.  Thanks.

---David