Re: Distributor problems

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Distributor problems
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 11:24:21 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I seem to remember reading in one of the manuals (Chiltons, I think)
that the 1500 engine (low compression variety) could take 30 deg total
advance (the BTDC position of the distributor + the internal
centrifugal advance = 30 deg max).  I read somewhat different numbers
in one of the other manuals at my local library. VB is shipping their
Mallory repalcement distributors with 20-something advance weights (28
deg?  I forget...).  You should be ok with 23 deg weights....you might
want to start a little low on your initial BTDC distributor position
and work up to more advance settings if you need to.  I think I
probably have the same distributor as you in my 78 and it runs smooth
at all rpm aithout pinging.  I just set it by "ear" though so I may
not be the best one to ask (advance till it pings -- back off some --
don't worry about the advance curve if it runs OK).

MD

---"William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com> wrote:

> This is a follow up to my distributor problems that I was having
several
> weeks ago.
>
> One of the listers was nice enough to swap my wobbling dizzy with one
> that worked fine.  When he was doing the swap, he found that my old
> dizzy had advance weights that were for 23 degrees.  The most he
> every saw in a sprite was about 18 degrees.  I was just curious, does
> anyone know if 23 degrees of advance was standard on any MGBs or
> spridgets?   The dizzy was from 1974 according to the date stamped
> on the body.
>
> I ran into one problem when installing the new dizzy. It  was when I
removed
> the dizzy I unbolted the whole dizzy housing(?) from the block.
When I got
> home I figured that the metal housing needed to be cleaned so I
removed it
> from the dizzy.  When I re-assembled the unit, I assembled the base
and
> clamp without the dizzy in place.  This caused the dizzy to sit high
and
> not fully engage the driving dog.  So after a few mins. of running
without
> the dizzy fully tightened it worked its way up and stopped spinning.
 What