Petrol Fumes

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Petrol Fumes
From: "Guy Weller" <Guy.Weller@nationwideisp.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:55:22 +0100
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I am troubled with petrol fumes from my newly rebuilt Sprite building up
overnight in the garage and gradually filtering through into the house -
making me somewhat unpopular (cynical understatement)

It has only started happening since I connected up the fuel pump and carbs,
and I suspect that once the system is primed, it is then syphoning fuel
through to the carbs from where it continues to evaoporate. It goes on for
several days, and the float bowls don't get any emptier.
I have very carefully checked the fuel lines and all connections and there
is no sign of any dampness.
One thing though, in the Moss parts catalogue it lists a fuel pump breather
hose, but dosn't make it very clear how or where it fits. Mine dosn't have
one, and no apparent connector for it on the fuel pump. I just wonder if
this is supposed to break the syphon effect, and it not  being there is the
cause of the fumes ??
Anybody with experience of this ??

Guy