Re: Got her running!!!

To: ulix@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: Got her running!!!
From: pasgeirsson@juno.com (Paul A Asgeirsson)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 19:00:45 EDT
Cc: Lancer7676@aol.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
A problem of going to full throttle from relatively low RPM is that the
air velocity in the stacks and intake manifold is very low.  Takes a
while to get that going fast and there is usually a resulting stumble.
Try "mashing" the accelerator when the RPMs are in the 3000 range and see
if the stumble is gone.

Paul

PAsgeirsson@juno.com

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:00:07 -0700 (PDT) Ulix Goettsch
<ulix@u.washington.edu> writes:
>On Wed, 14 Oct 1998 Lancer7676@aol.com wrote:
>
>> My '79 Midget, Taz, is up and running.  Has never idled and run so
>smoothly!
>> However, a couple of problems I would appreciate a response to if
>there are
>> any of you who have ideas.
>>
>> First, I replaced the bearings, timing chain, and cam sprocket, and
>adjusted
>> the too-tight valves.  Got it all back together, timed it at about
>10 degrees
>> BDC, and tuned the Weber downdraft carb using Peter Caldwell's
>> instructions--tuned it to highest idle.  Really idling smoothly.
>When I drive
>> and mash the accelerator to the floor, the car just doesnot have the
>pep I
>> would expect--almost like the carb was drawing or pulling.  It bogs
>down a
>> bit.  Twice while driving, the car acted like it was out of gas (it
>wasnt) and
>> sputtered.  Started right back up and ran pretty good afterward.
>While
>> idling, if I quickly mash the accelerator to the floor the carb bogs
>and the
>> engine will or try to die if I hold the accelerator down.  Any
>ideas?
>
>David, did you verify visually that your accelerator pump is working?
>

>> The second problem is that I installed a new used transmission and
>clutch kit.
>> When I first began driving the shifts were good and clean.  Now
>(same day) the
>> shifts have gotten stiffer and I get a little grind going into my
>gears. Does
>> this sound like a fluid problem in the Clutch MC?  Will bleedng
>perhaps take
>> care of this problem?
>
>It might.  I would check for external leaks visually and for an
>internal
>leak by engaging first and keeping the clutch depressed.  If the idle
>speed decreses after a little while, you know your clutch is 'creeping
>up
>on you' which probably means an internal MC leak.

>                                                           '67 Sprite

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]