Re: Brake fluid, seals, specs and more

To: Guy.Weller@nationwideisp.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake fluid, seals, specs and more
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 09:56:03 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 10/16/98 4:33:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Guy.Weller@nationwideisp.net writes:

<< You seem to know a bit about this brake fluid stuff (gg)
 I recently bought DOT 5 fluid to fill a completely rebuilt/ new system on my
 Sprite.  I believed from earlier exchanges on the List that DOT 5 was
 synonymous with Silicone fluid. After filling the system I discovered that
 it was not Silicone (it ate paint).  >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It always amazes me as to how much I am learning on this list!  EVERYTHING I
have read says that DOT 5 is silicone.  There is also a DOT 5.1 which is not
silicone.  This information is from the Vintage Triumph Register web page
maintenance handbook section. (http://www.vtr.org/maintain/brake-fluids.html)

Guy, please tell us what brand of DOT 5 fluid you bought.  Are you sure it
isn't the newer DOT 5.1 which is glycol based?  I am about to rebuild all my
hydraulics, and this info is very important to me.

Thanks in advance.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget (MC is soaking in PB Blaster!)
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport