Re: soft top fasteners

To: "Steve Hombach" <shombach@ee.net>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: soft top fasteners
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 20:33:15 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I'll describe the difference in the two fasteners as they apply to my '73
Midget.  I assume they would be the same as what's on the Bugeye.
The Lift-the-Dot fastener has a stud fixed to the car, and the part
attached to the top/tonneau has a hole in the middle of it for the stud to
go through.  A spring in the hole grips the stud as the fastener is pushed
onto the stud.    The part on the top/tonneau is actually two pieces that
are clinched together by tabs that punch through the fabric and are then
bent over.

The Tenax fastener also has a stud fixed to the car, but the part on the
top/tonneau has a spring-loaded cap that you pull out to allow the stud to
enter the cap.  The two parts of this fastener on the fabric are screwed
together using a two-pronged key.
It should be possible to change one fastener for the other, but the various
holes made in the fabric for one fastener may not be covered up by the
other.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain