Shocks.

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Shocks.
From: Andrew Griffith <Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:59:57 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Has anyone ever attempted to improve their road handling ability by going to
a thicker oil in the front shocks?
My front-end was very bouncy... it was like the shocks weren't even there
much less working. So, I pulled the shocks off and discovered that I was a
little short on oil, only about half full of very gray oil. I looked over
the used oil closely and since I didn't see any sizeable aluminum particles
I figured I'd just clean them up and see how they'd work before I replaced
them, as you all know they are not cheap to come by.
I pumped a lot of brake cleaner through them and when dry I gave them a good
shaking to try to gauge the piston slop, didn't hear much.  I was able to
find some buna-s o-ring seals that fit and now I'm ready for oil... any
suggestions?
A friend on mine said he used SAE 20W-50 engine oil in his Midget, but it
was creamed by a drunk before it ever saw the road.
Could the internal friction of the shock actually heat the oil to the point
where it would start to thicken?

-Drew
'62MKII