on reassembly of my kingpins...

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: on reassembly of my kingpins...
From: Thecarguru@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:05:59 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi everyone. This is my first foray into rebuilding my front suspension on my
75 Midget. Until now all I have done is remove the lower arm, swivel axle, and
shock from my parts car, disassemble, clean, replace o-rings,grease, and now
upon reassembly I notice there is "supposed" to be shims for the top trunnion
to be torqued onto. This, I believe, is so the trunion will not swivel on the
kingpin. When I took it apart there were no shims, and you could turn the
trunion on the kingpin. Both parts are smooth, no scores. It has a nylock nut
on the kingpin, and I bought a new one and turned it down till there was no
slack, and the swivel axle moves smooth with some resistance. The question I
have- will this be ok? The lower pivot keeps the kingpin from rotating, but if
the trunion is able to turn on the pin, will the trunnion move around on the
rubber bushings? I dont want to put this thing on the car and have problems.
It appears to have been rebuilt, as it has shiny black paint on everything and
the lower arm has  a sticker with a handwritten number on it. The bushings are
smooth, with no slop and just a bit of resistance without even bolting the
trunnion on. (like the manual says they should be)
Thanks for any insight on this- I just didnt want to put it on my car if it
wasnt put together right by the previous mechanic.
Gary
75 Midget(s)