Re: A question on wheel bearings

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: A question on wheel bearings
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@nashville.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 14:19:01 -0600
Cc: David Ramsey <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Now I am confused too.  Just last week I tried to tighten up my front
hubs to eliminate a small amount of play in the bearings.  I torqued
the nut to 45 lb. and found that I still had some movement in the
hub.  I cranked on them to the point where the play was gone but then
I couldn't get the cotter pin in the castle nut.  If I loosened the
nut to the point where the cotter pin would go in they were too
loose.  If I tightened them up to the point where the pin would go in
the wheel was locked solid.  My conclusion was that I needed a spacer
(shim) to correct the problem.  I also understand that there is not
normally a shim used with the midget wire wheel hubs.  My only
conclusion was that I had a new set of substandard bearings or that
there was some wear somewhere where I couldn't see it.  So, should I
find shims, drive it with a little play, replace the bearings again or
just forget that there is a problem?

Mark
70 Midget
Nashville