How to Drive Safely and/or Fast...

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: How to Drive Safely and/or Fast...
From: CONAN@RALVM8.VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 98 17:04:57 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
  For those who were interested but figure "racing" is too expensive,
there are groups such as "CarGuys Inc", "Tracktime", "TrackMasters", etc
that cater to people who want to drive fast, legally, without actually
going racing.
  CarGuys is the one I am personally familiar with.  I occasionally do
cornerworking for them (we're only paid via 'credits') but havn't driven.
  These are bascially high-speed driving schools that take place on actual
roadracing tracks.  You are not allowed to "race" wheel-to-wheel with
another car, and may only pass on the straights after the front car has
signalled you by.
  You supply your own car and helmet; they supply the facilities and an
instructor.  The instructor rides with you until they are comfortable
with your progress.  On a two-day weekend that won't likely happen on the
first day. ;-)
  How fast you go depends on what you (and your instructor)get comfortable
with.  Cost is about $400 for a two-day weekend and your actual on-track
time is measured in 'hours' in half-hour segments. :-)
  For those who want to start slow, or have kids they'd like to have
learn more than what they got in driver's ed, CarGuys has a couple of
smaller classes that don't require a race track.  One is called
"Decisive Driving", the other I think is "Beyond Driver's Ed".
  They also have a "slide car".  This is a car set up with an adjustable
caster on each corner controlled by the instructor from the passenger
seat. :-)  Yeeee-haaa! :-)
  CarGuys' web site is:   http://www.carguys.com
  CarGuys is based in western Virginia and operates at east coast tracks
from Watkins Glen to Sebring.
  I like these people personally, but have no monetary interest, etc. :)

  I 'believe' TrackMasters operates from the northeast, and Tracktime from
the midwest.  There are other groups around the US; I just don't know them.
  -FYI!-  from Ed in NC ;-)