Re: A question on wheel bearings

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: A question on wheel bearings
From: spriteguy@juno.com (Matthew P Johnson)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 19:23:50 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I was told by some racing vetrans that the stub shaft needs to be in
tension to prevent breaking while cornering hard.  I was instructed to
put 40 to 50 ft-lbs on the castle nut while still maintaining a free
spinning hub with no play.  On my first try with the stock spacer in
place I locked up the hubs with 40 ft-lbs of torque on the nut.  So I
made a bunch of shims (1) 0.002 (1)0.005 and (5) 0 .010 inches thick
(brass shim stock can easily be cut to size with an exacto knife).  I
just kept adding shims until I could get 40 to 50 ft-lbs of torque on the
nut without locking the hub.  Then I measured the total thickness and had
steel shims made to the same thickness.  I seem to remember it was about
0.025 to 0.030 inches thick (I was using Timken tapered roller bearings).