Re: Temperature guage

Subject: Re: Temperature guage
From: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 07:02:28 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Message text written by INTERNET:Ajhsys@aol.com

I disagree with the "just above freezing" comment.  I was refering to a car
with a properly operating thermostat.  If the 'stat opens at 180 deg., the
engine should be able to heat up to that point in a relatively short amount
of
time, as long as the ambient temperature is somewhat above zero degrees F.
If
the thermostat is STUCK closed and the temp is well below freezing, the
engine
will still overheat.  Those cylinders generate a lot of heat through
friction
and combustion.

It would have to be very cold (Alaska maybe?) for the engine to run
comfortably, with a PROPERLY operating thermostat that DID NOT open because
the engine never heated the coolant up to 180 deg, IMHO.

A thermostat that is stuck OPEN (or missing) under these conditions would
be
as bad as one stuck closed.  Proper operating temperature is vital for
engine
health and longevity.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport<

Sorry, if you misunderstood.  The 'just above freezing' comment was an
informative comment/question to let you know what weather I'm driving in to
solicite more information (your definition of 'COLD'), not to attempt to
tell you that it 'should' operate that way.  I forgot the question mark.
Oops!

I might have mentioned that during the summer, the thermostat seemed to be
working properly and that most of my drives are about 30 minutes long.  The
temperature behaves as previously described (it doesn't go above 120 if I
keep it moving) in the morning, when it is just above freezing and normally
(up to 160) on the return trip when the temperature is higher.

Robert D.
'65 Sprite