Re: More detail on Tachometers was Re: voltage regulator?

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, ulix@u.washington.edu, rcarlson@csw.com
Subject: Re: More detail on Tachometers was Re: voltage regulator?
From: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 10:11:26 -0800
Cc: Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 04:53 PM 11/5/98 -0500, Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am no electrician and know what I read without always understanding it so
>here is a mix of my 'layman' understanding with some 'electrician' terms.
>
>Any non mechanical tacho gets its information from the ignition system pulses
>which it reads from the engine coil.

There is another non-mechanical method used on some diesels (no coil) with
alternators. In European wiring schematics it is called a "W" terminal. To
my incomplete understanding it is a terminal that is connected to 1 diode
in the rectifier which reads only 1/2 a "wave" and sends that signal as a
frequency to the tach. Don't shoot the messenger. This method apparently is
quite easy to wire into the alternator, I confess ignorance as to the guage
end. This may be an attractive alternative for the discriminating Spridgeteer.
Peter C
Peter Caldwell
1 very rough Innocenti
(the Sprite with an accent)
among other LBCs and 4WDBCs
Contact for: The Columbia County Bonspiel
        Curling on 13 sheets @ 5 clubs in WI
        Feb 5 - 7 1999