Wheel bearing Shims was king pin shims.

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wheel bearing Shims was king pin shims.
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 06:26:00 PST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Putting aside the question of whether spacers and shims are necessary,
How would you get the bearings back out to put in a shim. With the
spacer in the hub I cannot tap against the outer race of the bearing and
always manage to knock the bearing apart when I remove it.

I use spacers and have not had a problem with the wheel locking up when
I torque the nut down to 46 ft.lbs. In the few times that this has
occurred it was because the bearing was not fully seated in the hub and
a few taps with a brass drift solved that problem. Always be sure that
the hub is totally clean and there are no nicks or burrs on the bearing
seating area, a light coat of oil on the hub will make the bearing
easier to drift in.
Regards,
Peter.

>From: "Larry and Sandi Miller" <millerls@email.msn.com>
>To: "Peter" <nosimport@mailbag.com>
>Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
>Subject: Re: King Pin Shims?
>Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:31:18 -0800
>
>I would be interested in obtaining an assortment of wheel bearing shims
if
>you can find them. I have not seen them in a long time for any LBC. I
know
>that they made them for the big Healeys but am not sure that they ever
made
>them for a Sprite. I can't torque my front bearings anywhere near where
they
>should be. I am thinking about trying to shim them.
>
>I had always thought that all of the spacers were the same but maybe
not. I
>have a bunch of them collected over the years for various Spridgets and
they
>all appear to be the same.
>
>Larry Miller

Want me