Re: Install Rear Lowering kit

To: chuckc <chuckc@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Install Rear Lowering kit
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:09:12 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Chuck,
On Spridgets, the axle sits on TOP of the springs. (Unless yours is below
which would explain that you want to lower it :-)

So, jack up the rear by the axle, put jack stands under the front spring
mounts, get rid of the jack, and undo the nuts.
Now the axle is just resting on
top of the springs.  You could now use the jack or your arms to lift the
axle up to get the spacers in.

What thickness spacers are you installing?
Let us know how you like them!

Ulix

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, chuckc wrote:

> Hi Ho!
>
> Anybody got a tried and true procedure for installing
> lowering blocks and long u-bolts in the rear of
> a 1275 spridget?
>
> I assume (!) I gotta first jack up the body to undo the
> nuts on the old u bolts, then somehow keep the body up
> while letting the axle down to get in the spacer, then
> re-jack the axle back up to the body to install and
> nut the u bolts. Sounds nice, but seems fraught with
> potential pain.
>
> I could use some basic reassurance here, before I lose an
> arm.
>
> chuck

                                                           '67 Sprite