Re: Heads off, what next

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Heads off, what next
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 14:58:45 -0500
Cc: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
"William M. Gilroy" wrote:
> Now that I got the head off my 77 Midget (1500cc) I have more than a
> few questions about what I am seeing.  Just a recap, I took the head
> off because I had very low compress cylinders 2 & 3 (something like
> 40 & 60 psi dry) and about 120 psi dry in 1 & 4.

  You can probably pin the problem down with some simple
DIY tests. Take a small gas can to the corner station
and buy a few liters of diesel fuel.

  Spin the engine until all the pistons are about the same
height, and fill all the bores with diesel fuel. Time how
long it takes for the fuel to run out. It should stay in
there for an hour or better, but likely more obvious
will be that 2 and 3 might be empty when 1 and 4 are still
full.

  Other test, balance the head on something so it is
upsidedown and flat, and do the same test with the
combustion chambers, fill each with diesel fuel or
paint thinner and see how long it takes to drain. These
should hold overnight, but a bad valve will drain
before your eyes.

  That should pin down the reason for compression loss.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca