Heads off, what next

To: "Spridgets Mail list" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Heads off, what next
From: "Geoff Branch" <branch@valinet.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 16:14:52 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Here's what I would do:  Pull the damn pistons, its easy and fast.  Look at
them.  clean them.  If they are pretty good, slap some new rings in them.
( I don't believe the kerosene leak test would show the broken oil ring I'm
betting you'll find.   But the idea is a clever one. )  Inspect the main
bearings and conn. rod bearings.   Then throw them out and put new ones in.
There relatively cheap and easy.   While your there, of course look at the
crank.  Scored?  Smooth?  If the oil pressure was OK when you took it apart,
chances are the bearings and journals are ok.     Take the head to a
REPUTABLE machine shop, and pay them to inspect it.  50 bucks buys a fair
amount of inspection.  Fix on the head what they say needs to be done.  Put
it back together.  And drive it for god's sake.  It's not a race car nor a
solid fuel rocket booster .....

Not trying to start a debate here.  Just saying exactly what I, ME,
personally has done dozens of times on many different types of engines.

Geoff Branch