Re: Still Got Dem Noises !

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Still Got Dem Noises !
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 15:32:15 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Chuck,

One of my favorite ploys is to go to a large parking deck on the weekend
(when there are fewer cars). Go to the top, start down, turn off engine
with tranny in neutral, listen for noise. This _may_ help in isolating as
it lets you hear things without the engine on and allows both turning and
straight runs. I've never done the following, but I guess you could go back
to the top, remove the plugs, and repeat the test while in gear(s). Just
don't forget to bring the plugs with you to the bottom!

Jeff

> On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, chuckc wrote:
>
> > So I have been trying to find this $%^&# noise
> > for weeks. Cross between a low grown, a hum, and
> > a murmur - sounds like tire noise? Or a diff or
> > wheel bearings.
> >
> > Only over about 25-30 mph (so I can't walk along side
> > to listen).
> >
> > Most audible when deaccelerating.
> >
> > No change when turning or braking or coasting.
> >
> > So how do I isolate it? I'm thinking there must be a
> > tool with separate small microphones that you can attach
> > to like the wheel wells and the diff carrier, all wired
> > to a central receiver. Anybody seen one of these?
> >
> > chuck

>                                                            '67 Sprite

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision