More on fans/radiators

To: Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More on fans/radiators
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 17:10:46 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi List,

I may have given 'duff' advice in one of my previous postings about fans and
radiators.  With a Spridget using a crossflow radiator it is possible to use
two fans if you really want - I just wouldn't personally.  One question that
is hanging in the back of my mind is:

Does the engine fan push air through the radiator or suck air through the
radiator.  I guess it must be the later but have no means of checking on my
car so would be grateful for the confirmation.

A second thought I had was that with my super duper competition radiator,
modern mini pump, reduced speed pulley and massive Kenlowe fan I have no
cooling problems.

BUT

While any amount of hard driving doesn't bother the water temp  (unlike the
oil temp which will rise, albeit to a controllable level, traffic is a
different matter.

In average traffic on a 80 - 90 degree English summer day (admitedly a rarity
some summers) the water temp will creep from a reasonable 80 degrees right up
to 105.  To do this takes extreme stop start traffic of maybe anything from
half an hour to an hour.  I think the problem is due to underbonnet
temperatures due to the freeflow exhaust radiant heat rather than deficiencies
in the cooling system.  What I think happens is that the fan cannot push
enough air out of the engine bay to cool in adverse conditions - hence it
copes with being stationery until such time as the engine bay, under bonnet
temperatures really soar.

The above is one reason why considering wing vents may be worth serious
thought rather than just fitting a better radiator and fan.  The latter coping
with performance driving generated cooling problems better than traffic
problems.

Trust these thoughts haven't confused the issue and apologies for a long
posting - maybe I can get to sleep tonight now (kept awake with cooling
thoughts some of last!).

Daniel1312