Re: interchangeability of rear end parts

To: spritenut@Exit109.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: interchangeability of rear end parts
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 18:05:49 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

<<Phil Vanner wrote:

> I'll take a crack at this one. Whatever I get wrong will be promptly
> corrected.

Phil

You did pretty good.
Not that anything was wrong but when swapping diffs sometimes you end up
with 2 filler plugs which is no big deal and sometimes you end up with
NO filler plug in which case you can fill the diff via the axle hole.
Basically only the axle housings are different. Early housings (1/4
leafs) have the filler on the housing, later (1/2) leafs hav it on the
diff.
--
Frank Clarici>>

Frank, Phil and list,

Just a few of additions and this is stretching my memory.

1)  All AN5's had disk wheels except for a few modified at Donald Healeys
plant.
2)  I do not think that the banjo from half ecliptic cars will fit the quarter
ecliptic cars.  Suspension mounting points are different.
3)  Banjos for wire wheel cars are a inch narrower than disk wheel banjos.  I
do not remember wires being put on Mk II Sprites but of course they were used
on Mk I Midgets.
4)  Have meet several folks who have wire wheels on their AN5's and claim to
have just changed hubs and bolted them on.  Do not know if it is as easy as it
sounds but it should change the track which may or may not be a problem
depending on what you are going to do with the car.

Went through all of this when we changed our car over in 1968.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite