Re: Wind tunnel access minor math ahead

To: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>, <Daniel1312@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Wind tunnel access minor math ahead
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:58:49 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks Ron! I couldn't remember the formula and I didn't have my
books/tables handy.

On the 2nd point, actually, laminar flow is not the same as "straightness".
Laminar flow refers to non-turbulent flow immediately adjacent to the
bodies' surface whereas the "straightness" I was referring to was for the
overall
airflow in the tunnel. You always want a smooth straight airflow in the
tunnel.

For low drag, you try to maintain laminar flow over the body, whereas for
high lift applications, you often need to artificially induce turbulent
airflow
immediately adjacent to the lifting body so as to avoid airflow separation.

For a car, you want laminar flow over the (upper) body, but you *may* want
non-laminar flow over the rear wing. Whether you do or not will depend on
the track - high speed (Spa) or high downforce (Monaco)

Mike