Re: Shock absorber fluid?

To: justincook@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Shock absorber fluid?
From: pasgeirsson@juno.com (Paul A Asgeirsson)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:28:12 EST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 19:11:14 +0000 (GMT) Justin Cook
<justincook@yahoo.com> writes:
>Just what is this "shock absorber fluid"?  I assume it comes from the
>same place as "turn signal fluid."  Can I put 90 weight oil in these
>shocks or what?

Sure you can, but you better be living in El Centro in the summer time or
just buy a kidney belt.  Usinf motorcycle shock oil of the right
viscosity is a much better way of going.  20 or 30 is usually indicated.

>Also any advice on replacing the front shocks?  I just ordered a
>rebuilt pair from the BPC, and I'm not looking forward to putting them
>on.
>
>While on the subject of fluids, my haynes manual says to put 50 weight
>motor oil in the gearbox.  Any reason I shouldn't put gear oil in the
>gearbox (90 weight).

If the gearbox is about shot, then 90 wt is OK, otherwise motor oil is
what belongs in them.  20-50 works well.