RE: Shock filling

To: "'Peter C'" <nosimport@mailbag.com>, Lancer7676@aol.com, Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: RE: Shock filling
From: "Gronberg, John" <john.gronberg@us.landisstaefa.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 07:50:45 -0600
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Timing is everything:
Last night I decided to do some shock absorber maintenance.  I picked up a
quart of 20W "Fork" oil at the local Honda motorcycle dealer.  For those of
you who have followed any of the cat lines, the motorcycle shops carry this
fluid because the front end of motorcycles use this fluid inside the dampers
on most motorcycles.  It comes in various weights from 5W to 30W.  You can
play around with heavier weights but most individuals indicate the 20W most
closely resembles the original Armstrong shock fluid.  I started with the
rear shock since the rear shocks have been on the car since 1987.  The fluid
inside was pretty much up to the correct line(since I have been checking the
level about every other year), but there was considerable "black" stuff
inside. Probably a mixture of rubber "o" ring pieces and aluminum fillings.
Cleaned out the shock with paint thinner and blew out with compressed air.
Refilled with new fluid and reassembled.
Regards
John Gronberg
Siemens Building Technologies, Inc.
Buffalo Grove, Illinois 60089-4513