Re: Tranny - Rear End - Same oil??

To: Dave_Vrba@mail.sel.sony.com
Subject: Re: Tranny - Rear End - Same oil??
From: pasgeirsson@juno.com (Paul A Asgeirsson)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 18:02:23 EST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Dave,

The Sprite Mark II tranny is different than the Mark I.  It has needle
bearings on 2nd and 3rd gear while the the Mark i has bronze bearings.
Give that either one of these trannies has some miles on them, they
likely have enough clearance in assorted oil ways so they will never be
oil starved.  80-90 gear oil is pretty close to 50 wt motor oil in sable
second units, so there really isn't a whole lot of diference in
viscosity.  Likely won't due any harm, although this is the first site I
have ever heard suggesting that gear oil be used in the tranny.  I have
never heard of an attack effect on brass sybchro cones by gear oil.  Some
thrust washers in differential are brass, some bronze, some copper, some
phenolic, and they all seem to survive just fine.

Paul Asgeirsson
Morriservice

503-978-3998
PAsgeirsson@juno.com