Moto-Lita Seering Wheel Boss Kits? Success!

To: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, Enzo Alibrandi <e.alibrandi@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Moto-Lita Seering Wheel Boss Kits? Success!
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@nashville.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 12:49:16 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Enzo and Spridgeteers:

A while back I posted a request for information on Moto-Lita Boss Kits
for my 1970 Midget.  The 70 is one of the few that has the horn push
on the turn signal stalk.  I had originally received a boss from Enzo
(Finish Line, Inc.) that was marked B-25 the splines and shaft on my
car were bigger and the boss would not fit.  I discussed this with
Enzo and found out there were at least three steering shafts made for
the Midget.  I returned the wrong boss and received (actually before
the other was received by Finish Line) a replacement this week.  The
boss that I received was Stamped B-25C, it fit the splines on my
steering shaft but it had an extension on the dash side that
incorporated an insulated ring for the horn, again the 70 does not
have the horn push on the wheel.  This extended part interfered with
the cancellation device for the turn signals. I looked at it for a
couple of days and decided that if I cut the extended part off it
would work.  I finally got the courage this morning and cut the "horn
ring" off with a hack saw.  I am happy to report that it fits perfect
now.  I have researched the various kits for Spridgets and found that
the Moss UK web site has a "complete" listing by car model.  I have
reproduced the list below.  It is possible that the boss (B25-"B" ?)
might also fit the 70 cars but I did not have one of those to check it
out.  It would make sense that the one for the 69-71 would fit but I
am told that it isn't necessarily so, due to the horn push problem.

After I had cut the extension off the boss I decided that I would
rather have a "Bright" finish rather than the black wrinkle finish
that was supplied.  A little paint stripper and an hour on the buffing
wheel and it looks great! I used a 14 inch "flat" (no dish) wheel and
it is "just right" for me, it is in about the same relative position
in the car as the original "dished wheel".

I also would like to send my thanks to Enzo for his kind help with
this problem. I only would wish that all suppliers are as helpful and
Finish Line. Of course, I have no fiscal interest in this company.

Moto-Lita Boss Kits for Spridgets

Austin Healey Sprite '59-60
MLW1117B4

Sprite & Midget '64-69 & MGB '63-69       MLW1117B25  First Boss
Stamped B-25

Sprite & Midget '70-71 & MGB '69-71       MLW111725B

Sprite & Midget '72-76 & MGB '72-76       MLW111725C  Stamped B-25C

Sprite & Midget '76-79 & MGB '76 on       MLW111725D

http://www.mossint.co.uk/p249.htm#259      Moss International
Moto-Lita Boss Kits

http://www.cybercars.com/motolita.htm      Moto-Lita/Finish Line,
Inc.  (Enzo Alibrandi)