Re: Rear End Question

To: LRuggi2635@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rear End Question
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 09:46:49 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> earnest now, so here come some questions.  I've got the rear end out and
> stripped, but now I need the axles out so I can checkout the diff, replace
> bearings, etc.  I rented one of those slide hammer hub pullers from a local
> place, but of course it's sized for bigger iron and won't fit on the bolt
> pattern for my little disc wheels.  What's the approved solution-- trash a
> brake drum by bolting it on backwards and hammering away?

Larry,
What are you doing with that slide hammer?
I am not quite clear how far you have gotten in the disassembly.  I assume
you have the drums off. Next, remove thet one little phillips screw that
holds the axle to the hub.  Pull out the axle.  You may need a hammer and
a punch, but it should't be hard, it's just sticking to the seal.
Bend back the lock tab, undo the 1 5/16" nut (careful, driver side is
reverse thread).  I then use a regular 3 arm puller (everyone should have
one :-) with a big washer in the middle to pit over the axle tube.
I haven't used a slide hammer, but it would probably work too.

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9