Transmission leaks

To: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Transmission leaks
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 13:18:39 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
When I was about to install my transmission into the car (1500), I
decided to fill it most of the way up with fluid (85 or 90 weight for
this model) before putting it in the car.  So I did, then put it in.
That was a week ago.  I noticed today when I was about to bolt it in
place that several leaks had formed, mostly from the front bellhousing
(coming out the lever arm and dripping), but also from both sides and
between the extension and the main part of the transmission (a lot of
simultaneous leaks).  A mechanic I asked suggested that I might have
tilted it up on end too far when installing it, and in fact, that
probably happened, since I did it by myself and by hand.  He said I
should just dry it up, tighten some bolts, and watch it.  Is this a
reasonable explanation for the leaks, or is it something worse?  The
only place it actually leaked onto the floor was from the bellhousing.
Thanks!

adrian

--
J. Adrian Barnes