Re: Wire Wheel Repair / Shocks

To: richard.arnold@juno.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Repair / Shocks
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 01:09:16 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 12/28/98 5:12:12 AM, richard.arnold@juno.com writes:

<<Two of Maggie's (the B) wire wheels have loose spokes at the outer hub,
and make a decided *clunk* when driven.  She is, naturally, deadlined
until repaired.  Problem is, I have no idea what I am getting into here
(I tried applying a 1/4" wrench to the spokes, but no luck -- am soaking
them in Liquid Wrench as we speak).  Suggestions?>>

Rich,

Unless you have re-spoked wire wheels would suggest some caution here.  If my
memory has not failed completely, all of the spokes should have the same
tension and you need to be sure the rim is true to the center. Used to call
this tuning and truing the wire wheels.  Wheel failure and / or excessive tire
wear would be expected if the wheels are not properly done.  As long as the
car is not pushed hard you can drive wheels with several broken spokes but
unlike disk wheels wires will collapse, generally with very little warning,
and throw pieces about.  The wire wheels are about the only thing on our car
that we have always used a shop to repair and maintain.

FWIW

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)