Generator gear reduction drive lubrication

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Generator gear reduction drive lubrication
From: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 23:09:35 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Happy New Year to All!
   I guess this applys to people still running their tachometer off
their generator.  Does anyone know what kind of lubrication to use in
the gear reduction unit on the back of my generator?  I have a repro
unit from Moss that disassembles (screwed together) and I have an
original unit that does not come apart (crimped band around the seam).
The original unit has a lubrication screw to add lubricant, but I can
find nothing in any of my original or after market maintenance manuals
that even mention this routine maintenance.  As these units do not seal
very well I imagine some type of sticky thick stuff is called for.
The repro is for driving to the meet and the original is for the
judges.  Any ideas?
            Mike MacLean-60 Sprite