New/Used engine for my 1500cc Midget

To: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New/Used engine for my 1500cc Midget
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 14:57:56 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Last weekend I bought a used engine for my 1500 cc Midget.  It was
out of the car and the bores seemed in good shape, and the head was
better than the one that came off my car.  This head has no carbon/oily
deposits in the intake runners.  Several of the exhaust valves leak.  I
gave it the Tevor Diesel Test (TM).  What I plan to do is send the
new head off to the machine shop.  When I get that head back, I will
put it on the engine I just bought and see what compression readings I
get.  If they are good, that engine will go in the car and I will rebuild
the original one at my leisure.  The engine I bought, did not have thick
oil/sludge deposits on the head and passages as my original engine.  I
figure that it has to be in better shape.  I figure for $75 I can't lose
that much money.  If I have extra parts, I can be sure that the orignal
parts won't have any cracks.  That is my type of luck.

Once I pull my original engine and trans, is there a way to run a
compression
test on my new engine while it is out of the car?   I don't want to have
the engine
roll across my garage floor.  It would be tough to explain the wife why
the engine roll through the garage wall and into the living room :-)
Anyway I am looking forward to working on the car over the next few weeks.

Thanks,

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget, 2 engines
89 Nissan POS