More on Re: 5 speed conversion kit w/ Datsun tranny

To: tob@taltec.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: More on Re: 5 speed conversion kit w/ Datsun tranny
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 16:40:11 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 13/1/1999  3:35:47AM,  tob@taltec.net writes:

<< I hear the datsun 5 speed conversion is a popular conversion to undertake

Its popular in the USA but at the risk of repeating myself I have to say that
the English and more recently German based Ford gearboxes are much better
because the Ford box can have a quick shift gear lever and even a helical gear
close ratio gear set that will wipe the floor with anything else.  The Ford
box can also (and obviously) be converted to a full race box with straight cut
gears (even closer ratios).  The Ford conversion kit will also take the
English Caterham 7  box which has 6 gears.

As far as overdrive goes, the Datson, Ford and other 5 speed boxes are known
as overdrive boxes because the 5th ratio is higher than 1:1 (ie direct) it is
in fact just another gear.  However, it is possible to buy and DIY fit a an
overdrive unit that has a drive coupling (yoke or whatever you call it) at
each end allowing it to be bolted to the back of the conventional gearbox with
a shortened propshaft (driveshaft) leading from it to the diff.  I have never
seen this done on a Sprite.

As far as the Midget 1500 goes you could fit the Triumph 'automatic' gearbox
as fitted in the Marina automatic but to do so you would have to be either
very sad or have some kind of physical impairment.   A better bet for the
Midget 1500 is to fit the Triumph overdrive gearbox which is a true overdrive
in that it is a 4 speed box which has integral to the casing and provides
higher gearing by virtue of a sun and planet gear arrangement that acts on
third and fourth gears.  Incidentally if you disconnect the inhibitor you
could have overdrive action on all gears.  Finally, I don't think it is very
easy to fit the Triumph overdrive gearbox on the A Series engine unless you
were very determined. Nor have I heard of anyone fitting a 5 speed gearbox to
a 1500 Midget but would guess that it is possible (like all things only
requiring sufficient time and money and not necessarily resulting in a decent
end product).

Daniel 1312