RE: GTO

To: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Subject: RE: GTO
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:37:54 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "'Steve Byers'" <byers@cconnect.net>, j kleemeyer <jkk@adams.net>, "spridgets@triumph.cs.utah.edu" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Phil Vanner wrote:

> styles by different coachbuilders. I don't think GT meant "Tourer" to
> Ferrari, as in a body style, but was used to designate cars not build
> strictly and specifically for the race track.

A GT usually designates a fast powerful coupe that is designed for fast,
effortless high speed travel, and less for curvy road driving.
Examples would be the more sedate Ferraris (front engine), Aston Martins,
front engined Lambos.  This is a term that was used mainly in the 60s and
early 70s and applied to european cars.

I am very surprised (and not 100% convinced) that Pontiac would officially
admit to stealing Ferrari's meaning of GTO.  After all, the GTO is about
as american as can be, so why would they give it a "sissy" italian name?

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9