Front Wheel Bearings

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front Wheel Bearings
From: "Larry and Sandi Miller" <millerls@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:10:17 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well I'm back to square one. I guess that my new stub axles are bad. Don't
know what else to think at the moment. I have posted various questions about
this off and on for months now. I tried to install Tinken roller bearings on
my Bugeye with it's new axles. They will not fit. The hub will not go on far
enough to get the cotter pin in the hole. I have now tried a set of stock
FAG bearings and they do not go on as far as the roller bearings did. I have
tried with and without the spacers on both types of bearings, no joy.
Without the outer washer (not the inner spacer) you can get a smaller pin in
the hole. This will give you an idea how far off they are. Both sets were
pressed in and I know they were seated.

The question is:

Does anyone have a stub axle off the car so that they can measure the
length?

Mine is 3.75" or 95 mm. This is measured from the upright.

If not, I will tear my other Bugeye down and measure it. Don't know what
else it could be.

Thanks

Larry Miller and his bearing challenged Bugeye