Re: Where was that number?

To: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Where was that number?
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:14:47 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Mike Maclean wrote:
  It is not an
> Austin assigned number, but it should be close to the chassis number on your
>incorrectly
> placed ID plate. Any other opinions from the list? Hope this helps.

All Bugeyes had the body (Thompson) number on the right side like what
we are talking about. The numbers were close but not a match as Mike
said.
All square body cars do have the correct chassis number stamped on the
right shock frame. Bugeyes did not have this number.
I did some research on these numbers a couple of years ago for the
Sprite Registry, I looked at early MKII Sprites and MKI Midgets, up to
RB Midgets, they all have the shock frame #. All the Bugeyes I have seen
only have the body pressing #.
So if you have a bugeye and all the numbers match, you have a
counterfeit car. The body number was close to the chassis number, and
the engine number was close to the chassis number but none of these
numbers "matched"

FWIW
--
Frank Clarici