In Line gas filter

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: In Line gas filter
From: "Noel, William M" <noel@BATTELLE.ORG>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:35:44 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I had my gas tank boiled out at a local shop.  They didn't coat the inside
as they feared it would clog the output line.  I cleaned and prepped the
external part of the tank myself in about six hours with wire brushes.  Cost
was approximately $60.00.

I have the  gas tank back on the car but the car is not running due to other
work.  I do have a question regarding the in-line filter.  Based on advice I
purchased an in-line filter from NAPA.  Also, based on advice, I bought one
with a clear plastic cover so that you can see the element.  My dilemma is
where to mount the filter.  I understand it should be mounted between the
tank and the fuel pump.  However, if I mount it there, it seems to me that
road debris could break the plastic cover, also, the plastic could become
fouled and it would be impossible to see the element.  The alternative is to
mount the filter inside the engine compartment between the fuel pump and the
carburetors.  The obvious disadvantage is that the filter doesn't come into
play until after the fuel pump.

1) Should the filter be mounted between the gas tank and the fuel pump?  If
yes, what techniques have been used?  How is it mounted and attached?

2) should the filter be mounted between the fuel pump and the carburetors?
If yes, what techniques have been used?  How is it mounted and attached?

Bill Noel
noel@battelle.org
phone (614)424-4917
fax (614)424-3152