More on - Magnesium Rims for a Sprite/Midget

To: Daniel Thompson <dthompso@total.net>
Subject: More on - Magnesium Rims for a Sprite/Midget
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 08:47:09 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Daniel Thompson wrote:

> Scott & Glenda Meyers wrote:
> >
> > I find that it has *real* 8 spoke magnesium rims. I have been
> > told that these are somewhat rare, and that some folks would
> > value these highly......and these 13x5's are less than useful for what
> > I want to do.
>
> Sounds like you have a set of American Racing Eagles. I also have a set
> as does Peter Samaroo. They look kind of like minilights but the
> "spokes" are not as curved and they don't go all the way to the center
> hub but rather join the rim around it (I can eamil you a picture if you
> are not sure!).

I do not have a picture, but will try to describe.

A picture would be useful - thanks.

They are 13"x5", eight spokes, unpainted outer lip nearest the tire. The
spokes have very little top to bottom curve to them, but do start out wide
at the outer edge (but are rounded like a bottle), and narrow to a center
hub that may have held a center cap at one time. That hub is about 3 1/2"
across. The spokes appear to have a space radius cast into them around
where the lug hole is.

There is a 'backplate' behind these spokes (slightly smaller in diameter
than the brake drum behind it) that is the mounting surface for the rim,
and it uses shanked lug bolts, not tapered. Hope this attempted drawing
works........

    |__

          {  <--------start of spoke)
          {

Hope this helps......

Scott Meyers
60 Bugeye 1275 w/tiny (but very light!) rims........